Friday, December 11, 2009

Backpack Europe: Airlines, Airfares and Airports Review and Insight

(Oct'09)

Post Travel Insight and Tip
I used to check schedules and prices of flight tickets, airline by airline until I came to know about aggregators. Some of the effective and international online flight tickets aggregators that I came to know during this backpack Europe trip were Mobissimo, Kayak, Orbitz Travel, Expedia Travel and Travelocity. Booking airline-tickets with these aggregators are so much more convenient and you can conveniently select budget airfares among many available airlines internationally.






Review on AirAsia X Flights

1) KL-LONDON
The seat was comfortable and the food was okay. However, the helpfulness of its air crew was below my expectation. I asked for help to remove my heavy backpack from the overhead compartment. She said she will ask an air steward to help but she forgot about it. Later I asked an air steward to help and he said wait awhile and then, he too forgot about it! I ended up asking a passenger to help me!

2) LONDON-KL
On my return flight to Malaysia, there was a baby who cried almost none stop throughout the 14-15 hours flight. I did not see any form of responsive action taken by any of the air crew to improve the situation. Perhaps AirAsia should send some of its air stewardess for some child-care training.

There were many passengers having flu and coughing away. AirAsia could have provided free masks to passengers or at least to those who were not well.

Review on Ryanair Flights

1) Beauvais to Girona, 2) Girona to Rome, 3) Salzburg to London

The interior and seats of all 3 planes were rather old. Other than that, it was okay, I have no complaint since the air fares were economical. Even cheaper than some of my train fares.



Review on Beauvais Airport, Paris

Wow this air port was really far from Paris. Think is about 80km and I have to sit in a bus for an hour and a half to reach the airport. The check-in point at Beauvais airport was very strict, only allowed 1 hand-carried bag. However small a second handbag, it was not allowed!


Review on Girona Airport, Spain

My flight from Girona to Rome was delayed due to some public transportation strike in Rome. We have to wait for an indefinite 3 hours in the small airport. Luckily there was internet access in the airport.


The K.I.S.S Nugget:-
Backpack Europe, the international aggregator I like most and used often to check and book most of my flights was Mobissimo.com. 
In Europe, very often one can get really cheap airfares from budget airlines such as Ryanair, Easyjet, etc. (At times, much cheaper than traveling by train or other forms of ground transportation.)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Backpack Europe - Just Go, Explore and Discover

Dear Reader,

You are most welcome to share your travel reviews, tips and comments on anything or everything under the sun related to travel in the various postings of this blog. Feel free to just express your heart out ....

Thank you for reading.