Thursday, December 10, 2009

Backpack Europe: Itinerary Review and Insight

(Oct'09)

Traveling Europe for 3 weeks, I spent a day in London; 3 days in Paris; 7 days in Costa Brava and Barcelona, Spain; 3 & half days Rome and half day Venice, Italy; 3 days Lucerne and Mount Titlis, Switzerland; half day Munich Germany; 1 and half days Salzburg, Austria; and the last 3 days back in London again.



Post Travel Insight 

Backpack Europe last minute and spontaneously without a rigid itinerary gave me the freedom to stay and go wherever and whenever I like. Overall, I had enjoyed an exciting adventure and enriching experience in spite of some minor hiccups.


However, think I was a bit too ambitious in my goal of traveling to at least 7 countries in Europe within 3 weeks. It would have been more relaxingly enjoyable if I have just covered 4-5 countries.

Staying 1-2 days at one place didn’t leave much opportunity for fellowshipping and to get to know the culture and people better. Also, I ended up spending a bit too many hours sitting in planes, trains and buses every 2-3 days.Unpacking and re-packing every few days were troublesome. (I really dislike working the compression bag without a vacuum cleaner.)

Realized now, some of my pre-travel concerns were a waste of mental energy. For example, if I don’t book hotels or transportation tickets in advance, I may be stranded. Tourist information counters are readily available at all air and ground stations to give advice on accommodation, public transport, city tours, etc. Also most hotel-counter staff were more than happy to help guests’ requesting travel and local tour info.



KISS Nuggets for future travel:-


Central Europe is beautiful, I would love to backpack Europe again covering more of the eastern countries in the near future. However, next trip, I would spend at least 4-5 days in each country or major city. (1 day for arrival, 1 day for departure, at least 2-3 days for sight-seeing and some local adventure.)

New 2010 Tours from Gap Adventures




No comments:

Post a Comment

Backpack Europe - Just Go, Explore and Discover

Dear Reader,

You are most welcome to share your travel reviews, tips and comments on anything or everything under the sun related to travel in the various postings of this blog. Feel free to just express your heart out ....

Thank you for reading.