Friday, December 11, 2009

Backpack Europe: Travel Insurance and Security Review and Insight

(Backpack Europe Oct'09)


Post Travel Insight
International Health Insurance
Travel Insurance
Since I was traveling several countries, I did not pay for insurance offered by airlines and bought my own personal travel insurance. Found out, if I was traveling 21 days or less, the insurance fee is one category lower which is quite a substantial amount in term of ratio. 
(I traveled 23 days!)




International Health Insurance

Travel Money
Regarding the safety of money, I was very glad I had this thin waist pouch that could be worn inside my jeans, where I kept my extra cash, ATM card and sometimes passport too.


Another favorite item of mine was a feminine looking, multi-compartments traveling mini handbag that could be sling over my shower , where I kept cash for the day, a credit card, my camera and a lip-balm . Really light and convenient!


Oversea ATM and Credit Card
Oversea ATM was the most convenient way to withdraw cash direct from saving account with relatively lower currency exchange rate.
However I was using a credit card that has linked to my saving account and upon returned to Malaysia, I found out that all my intended cash withdrawals from my saving account were transacted as cash advance fees from my credit card account.





Travel Security locks
The lock of my my netbook-bag was jammed half way through my journey during my backpack Europe trip! Luckily it did not happen at the airport check-in point since all airports required passengers to take out their electronic gadgets for scanning purpose.  Also, I did not bring an extra lock for my locker in hostel dorm.




If traveling to several countries, just flight-insurance may not be sufficient. Getting appropriate travel insurance to cover the whole journey is important to prevent any unexpected major expenses.  

For travel security, is important to get very good quality locks for luggage, backpack and locker.  


Remember to bring a separate ATM card and Credit Card . Otherwise, the pre-allocated travel budget may be exceeded by many small but accumulatively substantial expenses.


For more tips on travel security, check out the book as follow:-




No comments:

Post a Comment

Backpack Europe - Just Go, Explore and Discover

Dear Reader,

You are most welcome to share your travel reviews, tips and comments on anything or everything under the sun related to travel in the various postings of this blog. Feel free to just express your heart out ....

Thank you for reading.