Friday, December 11, 2009

Backpack Europe: Ground Transport Review and Insight



(Backpack Europe Oct'09)

Post Travel Insight  

Last minute train ticket purchased in Europe was very expensive especially since I did not have any Rail pass. I tried ordering it online before leaving Malaysia but they could not deliver to me before I flew. I found out too late that I could have requested delivery to my London hotel.

I learned the importance of verifying train tickets information before making payment. Due to differences in language, miscommunication can easily arise.

Also, is good to arrive early in train station and check out the location of the particular train platform number. In most station, there are notice boards with manually printed train schedules stating the departure platform for each train according to time, throughout the day. However, it is subject to change. Therefore, is important to listen for the announcement and check for latest update on the digital screen.

When traveling solo as a female, if possible, do not take any public transportation with late night departure time or arrival time.

Recalling now.....

Review on London Underground Trains
I think the signage and information system for London Underground/Tube stations were really clear and user-friendly even for first time visitor. I normally have rather poor sense of direction, yet I did not get lost taking London underground trains.

Review on Train from London to Paris:
I paid slightly more than 100euros for the Eurostar train to Paris because I bought it the night before departure. Found out if I have bought it online few days earlier it was about 70-80 euros only. And if I have euro rail pass, was even cheaper !

Review on Train from Venice to Lucerne:
From Rome I wanted to buy an overnight express train (with sleeping bed) from Venice to Lucerne. However, due to language barrier, the Trenitalia ticket counter staff sold me non-sleeping cabin trains all the way from Venice to Lucerne with 4 stops. 

Total travel time was more than 12 hours. Moreover, it cost me a total of 130euros.


1)Venice to Bologana: 11.30pm to 2.17am. (Napped in the train station for 2 hours!)
2)Bologna to Milano : 4.12am to 7.05am
3)Milano to Bellinzona : 8am to 9.50am
4)Bellinzona to Lucerne: 10.06am to 12.41pm

This was the least enjoyable part of my Europe trip! (ok ok I was being too optimistic. This was the torturing part of my trip!) When I arrived at Lucerne, I was like a walking zombie and slept like log the whole day. I caught the flu too upon arrival in Lucerne. (Thank God I have recovered now, I was worried it could be H1N1).

Review on Train from Lucern to Munich
I can’t recall much about this train?!?  

Review on Train from Munich to Salzburg
I missed my train twice in Munich!

First time because I arrived late at the station. Second time because I assumed it was the same rail platform but then found out too late that the line was changed to another far away platform. Together with 5 other passengers, we run like mad and was just late by 30 seconds. But the train did not stop for us. Then, to our dismay, the next train was delay ~3 hours! I ended up in Salzburg station almost midnight.

Kind of scary, arriving alone in an unfamiliar quiet train station middle of the night....  especially if the tourist info counter is closed!


K.I.S.S. Nugget:-



The good thing about the long train journey during my backpack Europe trip was, it provided me with some free time to update my travel journal, read a little from the travel books I brought and also learned up a little basic of  the French, Spain and Italian languages.


Click Here! To check out a unique travel diary software program 
for the RVer, motorhomer, caravanner, 4WD or other vehicle based traveler.

Books Highlight









No comments:

Post a Comment

Backpack Europe - Just Go, Explore and Discover

Dear Reader,

You are most welcome to share your travel reviews, tips and comments on anything or everything under the sun related to travel in the various postings of this blog. Feel free to just express your heart out ....

Thank you for reading.