Friday, December 11, 2009

Backpack Europe: Packing Review and Insight




(Oct'09)

Backpack Europe last minute, I was still packing when the taxi arrived to pick me up to the airport. Luckily no traffic jam and still managed to arrive early with some time to refine my packing at the airport (hehe).  


As a result of last minute packing, I had with me an almost 15kg luggage. I had also with me another 10kg backpack, mainly for my laptop, camera and handphone accessories, travel and language books, essential toiletries, one change of clothes, some snacks and vitamins supplement.

Unpacking and packing, decompressing and compressing clothes for my luggage were extremely troublesome especially when I was sharing dorm in hostels with limited space.

Since my luggage was already almost full at the beginning of the journey, after 1 week, in Spain, I left behind 2-3kg of my luggage clothes and some other stuff in the hotel room before I went to Rome.

Some of the heaviest stuff I was carrying around were travel books such as Fodor’s Essential Europe and Frommer’s Travel better, cheaper and smarter as well as the Berlitz Phrase Books (3 copies: 1 general, 1 French and 1 Italian). I hardly touched these books except when I was really bored stuck in long train journey.


Post Travel Insight


During my backpack Europe travel, I brought too many clothes and stuff. It was tiring pulling my luggage looking for accommodation and carrying the luggage up and down the staircases of train stations and some hostels. Luckily I met a few good Samaritans that offered a helping hand.

Think I used only 40% of the clothes I brought and only 10% of the emergency standby items that I thought I might need. (However, the one standby thing that I was really glad I brought, was the flu medicine!)


I found out, travel books and language books are not a necessity to carry around. Local tours and sight-seeing information are everywhere.  The two most important words to know in most languages are: : "Where is...." and "Thank you" . Simplest and fastest way to get translation is to use the online Google Translator.

I will definitely travel light and will make sure half of my luggage is empty at the start of my trip, especially if I travel backpacking. I will only bring essential items and would not bring any standby items that I can buy oversea!
When packing, the most important thing to keep in mind is personal travel convenience and travel security.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Backpack Europe - Just Go, Explore and Discover

Dear Reader,

You are most welcome to share your travel reviews, tips and comments on anything or everything under the sun related to travel in the various postings of this blog. Feel free to just express your heart out ....

Thank you for reading.