Friday, December 11, 2009

Backpack Europe: A Myth to Ponder

(Oct'09)

FONTANA DI TREVI, ROME



Italy was the 4th country I visited during my backpack Europe trip.  
                                                                                               






The guide for my Rome walking tour, told us the famous myth, that this huge fountain is a whimsical rendition of mythical sea creatures amid cascades of splashing water. This Trevi fountain is the world’s most spectacular wishing well. 


The legend has it that you can ensure your return to Rome by tossing a coin into the fountain and if you toss 2 coins, it will lead to new romance with an Italian lover.  So after hearing the legend from the guide, I threw 'one' coin into the fountain :).

2days later, I was separated from the 4 friends I was traveling with in Rome. We were near the Trevi Fountain again. After waiting and searching in vain for them almost half an hour in the midst of crowd, out of frustration, I threw my second coin into the fountain and tried to find my way back to the hostel myself.

Then…. some twilight-zone romantic stuff started to happen to me in Italy. (He He)

First encounter, asking for direction back to the hostel, a helpful tour guide offered me a lift in his coach back to the street where I stayed.

Later that night, second encounter, after dining in an Italian restaurant, I met a Sicilian who took me walking the Colosseum at night.

Then, the third and last twilight encounter was on my way from Rome to Venice. In the train, I met a rugged-good looking Italian man. He spoke little English and I spoke no Italian. Since we were stuck in the same train-cabin for 5-6 hours, we have some fun-time communicating with hands mostly and I ended up learning quite a bit of the Italian language

.... hmmm… still wondering, anything to do with my second coin in the Trevi Fountain?!? :P








No comments:

Post a Comment

Backpack Europe - Just Go, Explore and Discover

Dear Reader,

You are most welcome to share your travel reviews, tips and comments on anything or everything under the sun related to travel in the various postings of this blog. Feel free to just express your heart out ....

Thank you for reading.